|Study location||Netherlands, Maastricht|
|Type||Summer Course, full-time|
|Nominal duration||1 week - intensive (2 ECTS)|
|Tuition fee||€399 per programme|
Enrolled as an Undergraduate student or Undergraduate diploma
Familiarity with datasets (e.g., in Excel) and student should be Tech-savvy
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
This course will provide an introduction to data science by covering the basics methods and practices of a data science project. The course is designed around the data science lifecycle to show the techniques for handling a data science project. You will be exposed to basic programming skills in Python and learn how to select, clean, analyse, visualise and interpret data.
By following this course you will have knowledge and insight into: i) differentiating the steps of the data science life cycle; ii) formulating a data research question iii) using Python as the programming language, how data can be analysed; iv) know how basic data analysis algorithms work; v) draw conclusions with regard to the data question/hypothesis by interpreting the data.
This course will make use of lectures and practical assignments organised as follows:
• Lecture: Introduction to data science
• Practical: Introduction to programming in Python: This session will give you the basic skills to program in Python. By the end of this session the student will have gained familiarity with programming and will be able to perform simple data processing in Python.
• Lecture: Introduction to data, data manipulation and visualization
• Practical: Data manipulation and visualization: During this session, the steps of data exploration, selection, cleaning and transformation will be performed via a hands-on assignment.
• Lecture: Introduction to Machine Learning
• Practical Machine Learning: In this session students will be shown hands on examples on how to perform a Logistic Regression and how to use Naive Bayes Classifiers.
Course Duration and Dates
This is a one week course running from the 29th of June until the 1st of July, 2020. Due to COVID-19, we have decided to cancel all on-campus education this summer. The courses will be scheduled in Central European Time [CET] so it is possible that some time slots are not ideal for people in certain time zones. However, when scheduling the courses, we will try to take into account the different time zones as much as we can.
The number of credits earned after successfully concluding this course is the equivalent of 2 ECTS according to Maastricht University’s guidelines. For further information see the MSS terms and conditions
• Get to know the data science lifecycle;
• Use Python as a programming language to perform data analysis tasks;
• Become familiar with the data manipulation process and how to achieve this in Python;
• Get introduced to basic machine learning algorithms and in their application
• Understand data interpretation and visualization tools
Dr. Visara Urovi
• Familiarity with datasets (e.g., in Excel)
• Being Tech-savvy
The course is entirely self-contained. Slides and python notebooks will be provided. To make use of Python Notebooks you will be instructed how to set up python in your device.
• Work in groups
• Assignment and Attendance