|Study location||Netherlands, Maastricht|
|Type||Summer Course, full-time|
|Nominal duration||1-week (2 ECTS)|
|Tuition fee||€299 per programme|
Enrolled as an Undergraduate student or Undergraduate diploma
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Please attach proof of English proficiency or clearly state in your motivation letter any previous English experience through education, upbringing or jobs. We pride ourselves on our interactive courses and we therefore want to ensure all students can participate to the full extent.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
Please note that due to COVID-19 this course will take place online.
• Are you planning to study Business Studies or Finance soon? Or did you study Finance before but things are not that clear yet?
• Are you wondering how to calculate installments for a mortgage or a car loan?
• Would you like to know what interests banks charge or how long it might take to repay a car-loan?
• Are you interested in understanding the fundamentals of project appraisal or capital budgeting?
• Would you like to know how to invest in stocks or currencies to try your luck?
If the answer to either of these questions is “yes,” then this is the perfect course for you.
Course Duration and Dates
This is a one-week course running from the 2nd of August until the 6th of August, 2021.
The number of credits earned after successfully concluding this course is the equivalent of 2 ECTS according to Maastricht University’s guidelines. For further information see the MSS terms and conditions.
Goals and Expected achievements
After completing the module you will be:
1. A mini-consultant for your family to make informed financial decisions on mortgages, car loans, investments etc.
2. Convinced that basic finance is not that difficult to understand
3. Confident to study higher level finance comfortably
We will cover fundamental issues in finance: basic tools & techniques necessary to making financial decisions. We will follow problem based learning (PBL) to make sessions interesting and enjoyable. We will emphasize on “learning by doing“and working on various problems and exercises in groups. You will be surprised realizing that studying finance can also be a fun.
This course is suitable for bachelors as well as masters students. Students should have an interest in finance.
Suggested Text (no need to buy the book): Fundamentals of Corporate Finance by Berk, DeMarzo, and Harford (Pearson, 4th global edition)
PBL (Problem Based Learning)
Participation; Quiz; in-class tests; homework and (group) presentation.
Finance; Time Value of Money; Project Evaluation; mortgage; Stocks; bonds